Thursday, October 29, 2009

Small Packages

Aiko here is making the blog rounds this week, and one look at her will tell you why- she is damn cute!



Cute, though, is just the door to this wonderful story. Aiko is 84 and rides the 150 miles of the 2 day City to Shore MS ride in New Jersey. She has done this every year for over 20 years. She rides a single speed bike, she wears the clothes she always wears (including her heels) and she rides the race with her family (including great-grandchildren!!) as a team.


Aiko is a remarkable woman, to be sure. More than that, though, she is the benchmark of what we should all strive for. She is a woman without boundaries. With complete style, being only herself, she completes tasks that most of us think of as monumental but really only require a different point of view to be manageable. Through a simple, determined act, Aiko proves that the only things that hold us back are our own, self imposed mental limitations.



Reading her story makes me want to ride. It makes me want to be better as a person. It also makes me want to start a purse and heels group to do some charity riding! Who wants to join me?

(huge thanks to "the skepticaloptimist" for the pictures!!!)

12 comments:

  1. beautiful picture! Thanks for the post, it is very inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A, this post is beautiful.
    she's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think she is about your height, Caryl ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's awesome! tiny people unite! :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. And she is with 3 inch heels. She sure makes up for
    for her petite frame with a huge heart and soul.
    So cool biking is for all of us.
    Jon C.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope I can ride my bike as far when I'm her age. She is so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for your comments, everyone! Eiko has already inspired a number of younger people (some in their '60's....) to take up bicycling and ride 150 miles in the City-to-Shore MS-150, a 2-day ride to raise money for multiple sclerosis. It was an incredible privilege to meet her, ride with her, and photograph her.

    -Theskepticaloptimist

    ReplyDelete
  8. Glenn- Thank *you* for sharing your pictures! Your generosity helps get her story out and it is one worth sharing. I am quite sure she will influence many people in ways we would never expect!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awesome she rocks - and I'm up for joining the heels and handbags group ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm sending this to my mom. Thanks, A. My eyes are welling up -- no kidding.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lilia- Glad you liked it! I think she is fantastic!

    I am completely serious about a "purse and heels" group. I am not sure which charity ride it would be, but I really want to to do a team for it!

    ReplyDelete