Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Declan Says "Let It Rain!"

If you watch the news, you know San Francisco (and most of the rest of California) is being hit by the remnants of a typhoon. By 1 pm today, San Francisco has received a little over 2 inches of rain!!! With winds up to 60 MPH and my neighbor building an arc, what do I do? Go for a ride with Declan!


There was enough of a break in the wind to make riding down to the next neighborhood for coffee doable. Declan got new rain gear just for riding and we wanted to test it out. I thought he would be miserable back there in the rain. I was wrong! He loved it!

It was a short ride, a mile one way, but he thought it was great. He pretended to be on a boat floating down stream. Of course, the stream in the gutter next to us helped the fantasy along ; ) His REI rain jacket and pants kept him completely dry and his fleece unders kept him warm (he will not wear wool, so fleece it is!)


At least I know he won't whine the whole way home from school tomorrow. One can hope!

12 comments:

  1. Awesome! Of course, you know you took the brunt of the rain...he was coasting along in your "draft"! ;-)

    Love the smile on his face (and yours too, Adrienne)!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great big smiles :) Three cheers for playing in the rain!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Declan's rain jacket is the cutest! I need one of those... Splitting my time between riding the streets of Vancouver, Canada and Seattle means a lot of riding in monsoon weather. I'm getting tired of feeling soaked and squishy when I ride for coffee. :)

    PS- love the blog! Keep up the awesome posting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome! Yay Declan! Nice rain gear. I love how it beads up. I need a pair of rain plants for myself actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it. Our boys seem pretty waterproof as well- much to the suprise of other parents waiting outside kindergarten in ther cars. Now we have the Bakfiets and a raincover for severe weather, I wonder if I'm spoiling them. too much

    ReplyDelete
  6. wb- If you are spoiling them with that, then what would it say about me if I got this?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to take inspiration from you and your son this Fall because, according to my local weatherman, I'll be riding in a lot of rain in the days to come. Some El NiƱo system will be parked over traditionally dry North Georgia for the season. The number of dark, rainy days have already gotten me a little down, but I try to myself, "It's just weather. Most other states have it all the time."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too geeky for me AJ; I use one of these:

    http://www.ocanadagear.com/hat-umbrella.htm

    ReplyDelete
  9. BB- riding in the rain makes it much more tolerable. That was the revelation that I had when I started really riding in the rain last year.

    KFG- Oh Canada, I'm singing in the rain..... : D all that needs is a beer can holder on one side (with extra long straw) and a Canadian bacon dispenser on the other ; )

    Mark K- of course I take the brunt, I am the Mom : )

    Saramonella and Hot Mamavee- two words- 'quick dry'. I have discovered the joy of hiking pants made for the rain. They stretch, they look like regular pants, and they dry in nothing flat. With wool tights on underneath, they are plenty warm.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Declan!!
    noise control patrol tRex boy
    harr harrr :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  11. good job there kid... wayta gear up for the elements.

    ReplyDelete
  12. He is disappointed because his old fireman style rain jacket is not good on the bike and he thinks he will never get to wear it again.

    ReplyDelete