Thursday, April 15, 2010

It takes two.

Bike lane conversations are certainly the best way to catch up with your pals, or meet someone new, chat about the weather, make a hill seem less steep, transform traffic into a chatty obstacle course and share a laugh or a frustration. My last conversation was with a stranger (well after we chatted no more) over the invasion of cupcake stores in San Francisco with a bikey guy that had a super flamboyant air to him – queens and I get along quite well. He also mentioned he needed some teal tights like mine. How did we go from tights to cupcakes, maybe a frosting color linear similarity. It lasted for about 5 minutes then he was gone. I'm sure we will run into each other again, we have the potential to talk about colorful things for hours. Have you had any interesting random chats lately on the bike lane?! Funny enough I had started this post last week, and saw Adrienne's post on the boring encounters. The bike lane offers it all, that is the beauty of exposing ourselves on two wheels.

Here are some duo bike lane shots from our pool:

4 comments:

  1. I, unfortunately, have no bike lanes on my entire route. But I do make a huge effort to chat up cyclists. Today I encountered an older woman on a bike and we chatted for a few blocks until we parted ways as I was running late. We grumbled about the hills and about mean motorcycle cops who prey on nice bicyclists. It certainly made my day start out well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the idea - but the bike lanes here (in Boston) are not wide enough to have conversations! When there are bike lanes at all... However, I've had conversations at intersections and those have been pretty nice, while brief. Hey, we take what we can get!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. It's rare where I live that strangers strike up conversations while waiting at the light. I miss that. Maybe it's more commonplace in a more dense urban area. I enjoyed the photos, as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i love your images and philosophy! so inspired to see so many people riding. my bike has changed and continues to change my life; relationships, health, perspective. . . all of it. glad to know you are here!

    ReplyDelete