Saturday, December 26, 2009

When I Grow Up I Want To Be A Stoker

Big Enough To Be The Stoker

Declan has joined the ranks of the regular street pedalers. After much debate between Hubby & I over whether or not the boy was actually big enough to fit on the trailer, we decided to give it a try. It is a an oooold model with no quick release that is a bitch to get on and off the bike, but it works! Declan got to pedal all the way to his Grandparent's home.


Happy Night Rider

His reaction to his new mode of transportation was positive.

6 comments:

  1. I hope Declan tells his dad that he doesn't like to sit behind the tail light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We asked him if the light bothered him. He said no. I was skeptical but he didn't complain, and as anyone who has spent time with him can tell you, he has no problem voicing his concerns : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having twins first left me envious of folks who could use these trailers. By the time my older guys could ride on one of these (both P & I would have each needed them to attach them to bikes), we had a third so it just never happened for us. Hence, the family biking thing never took off 'til we discovered cargo bikes. However, these ride-a-bikes/trailers do look like tons of fun & I suspect Finn would love one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so awesome! Two stories of trail-a-bikes:

    First, in 2000, my dad and I rode the Seattle-to-Portland (STP) bicycle classic. Among the several thousand riders was a father and his two kids (both were near Declan's age). Dad and the youngest were on a recumbant tandem, and the older child on the trail-a-bike.

    Second, the husband of a former co-worker of mine used to ride STP in one day. She'd meet him about 20 miles out from Portland with their son and the trail-a-bike. Hook the trail-a-bike to dad's bike, and father and son would finish the ride together. They did this for two or three years, until the son hit the age when they would have to pay full registration for him to ride along for the last 20. Needless to say, he wasn't too happy when they skipped that year!

    ReplyDelete