Friday, December 18, 2009

One Block At A Time

San Francisco just got its first separated bike lane. It is on Market Street. It is one block long. When first I heard of it, I was terribly unimpressed. A single block. Meh. Then I saw that it was put on one of the stretches that bothers the crap out of me every time I ride on it- it is a stretch that always has mail vans and UPS trucks double parked in it! Hah! Double park on that!

So while I want more, at least we get this for now!


One Block

6 comments:

  1. I thought the same thing when I first heard about the lane. I wondered why they put it where they did- and I was having problems visualizing that block until someone said- "you know, where the UPS and US Mail vans block the lane" and I thought- ohhh yeah, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very interesting and well thought out implementation; although I imagine the pickets are going to lead something of a hard life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! I would love to see more of these.

    ReplyDelete
  4. we are taking baby steps, lets just hope they turn into big leaps into the future we all want. - go SF go!!
    ;)
    great pic of Gwennnn <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the one-block of lane grows for you all...here in Central PA the idea of bike-line among most of the population is an absurd expentidure/concept, especially since it gets in the way of cars. The photograph is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. KFG- they have taken some abuse, but they will endure : )

    Ben- Just keep working for them. The fight for this one block has been epic but the tide is turning all over the world.

    ReplyDelete