Monday, November 8, 2010

Green Up Your Ears


Streetfilms comes through again with this short film about greenways and bicycle boulevards in Portland. I got to ride this stretch of road back in September and it was a really nice experience of what simple changes, like changing the direction of stop signs, can do to make things easy. I would love to send copies of this to every street planner in SF (or anywhere, really) and have it burned in their memory- it can be done, we can have bicycle infrastructure that works and brings people out on their bicycles. It is being done now.

Time to catch up every other city in the USA!!


Portland's Bike Boulevards Become Neighborhood Greenways from Streetfilms on Vimeo.



5 comments:

  1. Have you ever ridden Bryant Street in Palo Alto? It's a rare bike boulevard and it's an absolute dream. At this time of the year you'll travel past beautiful houses down tree-lined streets showing off their fall colors. I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never been riding in Palo Alto, although I have wanted to for awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Palo Alto. though I dont bike as much around there, there is that one coffee place called cafe del doge - I like it =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! Go Portland!

    Living from Portland, I can attest to how simple these changes really are. They're very cheap for the city & taxpayers, and most anti-bicycle folks (who normally complain about cycle tracks and what-not) don't seem to mind these boulevards.

    I'm originally from the Bay Area and have spent time in SF and have seen some of the neighborhoods that would really benefit from this treatment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I envy Portland so much. I've seen so many videos about that wonderful city and I just wish Miami could be like that.

    ReplyDelete